2007-04-26

Delphi 2007 - To error or not to error...

Well, in my case, is to not. I finally got tired of that wavy red line that kept creeping in even for source working perfectly well. Heck, just right now, after loading Delphi and my current project, it started complaining, i.e., showing some of those lines.

For some reason, it would refuse to acknowledge one of the units used and anything declared within... Not even after a build (successful one, of course). And the odd thing, is that, after I commented that unit from the uses clause, compiled (unsuccessfully, of course!), and uncommented the unit back and, all of a sudden, there were no more red wavy lines...

I was just hoping it would work better than in BDS 2006, but I guess the code behind must not have changed, so it's bye-bye Error Insight for me...

And no, I'm not going to QC it: it's hard enough for easily reproducible QC reports to get fixed, let alone those that happen only some of the times...

4 comments:

Kyle A. Miller said...

I feel your pain. It's been said error insight has improved in D2007. I guess. Seems the same as BDS2006 to me. Really nice feature but it has to work well to be used.

Anonymous said...

I kinda doubt they need anyone to QC the fact that error insight is completely useless.

From the start of creating HELLO WORLD, to loading in your most recent successfully built project, Error Insight just LOVES to drop in those little red squiggles.

This is a feature that is more likely to confuse and discourage a new user than provide valuable insight to anyone at any skill level.

Fernando Madruga said...

I can accept a new yet to be saved/compiled project to show the red wavy lines, even though it may confuse new users as to why a perfectly good piece of code is shown as having errors, but having them show on a fully saved/compiled project that was not showing them on last use, and then it's "fixed" by simply commenting/uncommenting code is annoying and distracting to say the least... Imagine if Word worked like that!...

Tom Martin said...

Actually error insight works really well. and yes it has improved in Delphi 2007. I find in very useful since I can find my errors before I compile. There are a few quirks, but once you are use to it, it saves allot of time.

My 2 cents.