2007-03-22

Delphi for Win32 - Part 8 (Time to sleep...)

The first hours spent with Delphi 2007 were like going cross-country on a city-car: not the most pleasant journey. Ran into a few bugs/lockouts which I wasn't expecting after so much was said and done about Delphi 2007's rock solid stability...

Still, not all was bad: rebuilt my dev machine and it's faster than ever, I have also converted my current project where I used my own hack to do post-build operations from within the IDE in BDS 2006 and I'm now using Delphi 2007's new Post Build Events. In a way, they're not as flexible as the way I was doing it: I can't add my *.ARM file to my project because I can no longer tell Delphi 2007 what to do with it (no more "Build Tools"), and so I have to use explicit paths/filenames in the new Post Build Events instead of having a "general purpose" way of doing it to any *.ARM file I added to my project.

Still, this new process is better for one reason alone: when I use "run" to test my office add-in in the proper office program, the IDE will now also run the Armadillo wrapper which means I can more easily debug my add-in, which was a bit troublesome in BDS 2006 with my "hack" as it kept insisting in compiling my main dll without doing a build all which is a mandatory step in the way I was doing it...

All in all, I am a bit disappointed at Delphi 2007. Mostly about stability so far, and a few minor nuisances, but I was expecting it to be nothing short than perfect after reading so many good words about it...

In the next few days, I'll try and get some work done, expecting to get much less hang-ups (preferably none!).

No comments: